Friday, February 25, 2011

Everyone is a Expert when They move to PI.

Hello, I am back.. Sorry, been so busy with the business and with new things, and changes,, I have not had a lot of time to write much... Also been doing some things to try to help out tourism here on Mactan Island.. So I guess I put this blog low on the list of priority's for myself.. I am working on a New Travel Guide for Mactan Island.. Anyone wish to look at it, or give me some input you can find it here :


Its not complete, but I am working on it as I have time.. Lot of work to do one of those properly.. I do not make any money, or sell anything.. Just trying to help out, and I use it also as kind of a reference for things I need to keep up with and want to do myself around the Island.. They is a lot of work needed to be done to it... But at least its a start..


Now, back to Everyone is a Expert.. Wow, After being here for so many years, I really get a laugh out of seeing so many Expat's who arrive here to live or only stay a few months a year,,, starting these " How to Live in Cebu ". E books, guides, advice, just about everything you could imagine is in these sites... Now do not get me wrong... They are some of the sites in which are very good and have great information from Expats who have actually Live here and stay here.. I would even go out on a limb and say they are few,, ( very few ) who do not live here but still have decent sites and some good info.. But in general, most of them are just right down funny...

It is amazing how they tend to all have close to the same info, and same topics.... When you read their posts,, its like they are the ones in the know.. Now for us who have lived here a long time, and realize that some of the things they are talking about..... They do not have a clue...... It is funny, and sometimes make us just shake our heads in dis belief.. Now i am just talking about the informational sites... I do not even want to get started on the Forums... That is whole other subject... ha ha ha... I used to get aggravated and dismayed at some of the sites.. But after years I have just found to take them with a grain of rice... Read them, have my laugh for the day and then move on...

Now as for personal, I am still having hard time with that one.. I do lot better now, but when in a group of what i call " tourist expats " or short timers, and they start contradicting what I am trying to tell someone... I still am learning to hold my tongue.. Now anyone who knows me, knows that is hard thing for me to do in a situation like that.. But over time I have finally realized that any information or advice you do give out to potential expats,, is never really listened to or taken to heart anyway.. I have learned to let it go more these days.. Most will make the mistakes you telling them not to, or go ahead and start a business and not listen to any of the things you have told them to do properly...

I have learned more to live in my little corner and help the ones I can, and just wait for the others to come back so I can tell them " told you so "... I do not need to stand on a platform and defend my advice to others, or to get into a three page long comments on the internet anymore.. Just not worth it.... My proof of what I know and what I have done right and wrong,, is evident in my life and business.. Intelligent ones will see that and heed my advice and accept my help.. Others,, well,, they have their own agendas, and their own thoughts,, and can not see past those enough to help them anyway...

I do understand that many expats here can only work from the internet, and it is a great way for them to be able to work here in PI, and earn extra income for their family's.. That is all great and good, and I am in support of them 100%,, and will give my help in any way i can.. Its those who are arrogant, can not tell them anything, rude, obnoxious, A holes... who tend to not want to pay their dues, and to trample on the ones who have paid the dues and climbed the ladder... Those are the ones,, who are just laughable with their sites.. But, I have learned not to sweat those either... You remember the old saying.. " Give them enough rope, they will hang themselves." That holds very true here in PI..

Now for those of you who will read this and start feeling guilty,, ( you tell on yourself ) by leaving the famous comment.... " oh you guys who lived here long time think you know it all.. Blah, blah, blah"... Do not do it.. I will just delete them.. ha ha ha... Because those of us who have lived here a long time and who experience it everyday.. You dam right we know it all.. We live it... Sorry, let me rephrase... We do not know it all,, but give us the respect for know a hell of lot more then those who do not live it everyday, and who have not been here as long..

Anyways, my thoughts for the day... By the way,, they are some great good sites, with experienced and proven guys who have lived here for many years.. In which you can get a lot of great insight and good information..


They are more.. So sorry if I did not put yours here.. These are just some friends and persons i know.. They are still a few more good ones out there in my opinion.. Of course i am sure some will not be devastated because my poor little blog here does not get enough traffic to make a difference anyways...

1 comment:

  1. Bit concerned there Philip you forgot to mention the fact a lot of the "short term" expats like to attack those who have been here sometime. Another important factor that identifies the good from the bad is age of a blog as its likely to identify how long a foreigner has been in the Philippines. Forums are a different beast as they fill up with new members or tourist expats as you find long term people spend less and less time on them. Primarily for the reasons above 1. people don't listen and 2. You get attacked for having "real knowledge" over what often people just think or assume.

    Keep up the good work! and to any new expats out there if you hear advice from people here some time at least listen to it you don't have to follow it but at least if you listen you are going to have to admit your own mistakes rather than say "I didn't know". Its one of the biggest frustrations here is helping others who then do the complete opposite to then lose everything and then blame their girlfriend/wife for all their problems when most of it has been down to themselves.

    ReplyDelete